How Volunteering Can Help You Get a Job
There’s little doubt that volunteering can be a wonderful way to make a difference in your community (and even the world), but it’s also a great way to boost happiness levels, meet new people and, according to new research, it can even help you get a job!
According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, who followed more than 70,000 people over a ten year period, people who did volunteer work had a significantly larger chance of being hired over those who didn’t. In fact, the Centre for Economic and Policy Research found that volunteering even as little as 20 hours over the course of a year raised a prospect’s chances of being employed.
5 Reasons Why Volunteering Helps You Get a Job
- Networking Opportunities: You’ve heard the saying “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know”? Well it’s true! That’s why volunteering is especially helpful for long-term unemployed people because the longer a person is out of work the weaker their social networks become and the more difficult it becomes to gain access to people who can refer them along.
- It Shows That You’re Self Motivated: Volunteering at your local animal shelter or hospital demonstrates to your potential employer that you’re a self starter. It also shows that you have good work ethic and strong community values. Who wouldn’t want those qualities in an employee?
- The Happiness Factor: Selfless acts have been proven time and again to boost a person’s happiness levels. In turn, the happier you are, the more productive you become and the more likely you are to keep looking for work with energy and conviction. Most employment agencies agree that a positive mindset is one of the most critical elements of a job search.
- Skills: Volunteering allows you to keep old skills sharp. It can also help you to learn valuable new skills that can be put onto your resume which equals more good stuff to impress recruiters with. And, best of all, you might even discover a new talent that you never knew you had!
- Passion: Above all else, volunteering allows you to illustrate that you are a person who cares about the world. Employers love to hire people with passion, and a history of volunteer work illustrates a level of passion about the world that few people possess.
Want to volunteer at Foster Care Angels? Contact us now on to find out how you can make a difference today.